Monday, July 14, 2008

Nelson Mandela - Long walk to freedom (Part 1)

Finally, i managed to read the first part of the book. Very interesting book. You just feel like you are reading a novel when reading it. The first part of the book focused on where and how Nelson Mandela started his life. From living in a hut to be an adopted son to one of the chiefs that offer him proper education. He walked from one place to another to survive, get proper education and searching for freedom.


A few stories in the book are quiet funny especially the part that he ran away from his family with his brother Justice, because they were forced to get married by their father. I really salute him when he decided to leave his study just because he doesn't want to be one of the SRC members. There are a lot more interesting events written in the book that I can't summarized here.

The conclusion is very simple. Nelson Mandela was born where he saw how his people suffered because they were denied their rights in their own country. There were a lot of laws and acts that banned them to have a freedom in their lives. For example, they are not allowed to possess land under their own name. They pay rent to the government which most of them were whites people. They were only allowed to sit at specific seats for blacks only in the train, restaurant etc. And it happened in their own country. What I admire about him is his concern on the need of education for himself and his people and how he strived for it.


I feel very lucky to be in my own country and get the freedom to do what I want to do. I'm just started reading the second part yerterday. I don't want to stop reading but a lot of books need to be read this week for my proposal. To be continued next weekend.



4 comments:

JALAN REBUNG said...

Slam kiah,

Memang dari dulu perasan kiah rajin baca buku. Jln Rebung pun tengah nak set mini library kat rumah. Buku punya collection dah nak masuk 500 (beli masa warehouse sale kat MPH ngan Payless).

z'kea m.s said...

Erm.. dulu banyak juga beli buku, tapi tak ada masa nak baca. Alhamdulillah... sekarang masanya nak pegang koleksi buku tu. Masa pindah rumah 2 trips bawa buku jer.. Kalau ada warehouse sale lagi bos inform kita la yer...

Anonymous said...

Oh my. This is a good reading. But i wonder, how do you embed this material into your proposal?

(kiah, if you feel empty, talk - to your TV, room, desk, toilet,etc. hehe - it works)

z'kea m.s said...

Heh cekmi, I used to talk to myself. In counseling selftalk gives motivation tau. Tanya budak-budak acad. Diaorang selalu dengar I cakap sorang-sorang. Tapi tak adala cakap dengan TV etc. Nelson Mandela tu baca during weekends jer. Weekdays I buatla research, selain dari baca blog orang... hehehe...