Sunday, October 25, 2009

Why I Skipped Class


This is the latest book that I read. It is authored by MMU graduate, Jay Tiew Jin Jie and co-authored by Mdm. Rahayu Tasnim, my ex-office mate cum my neighbour in Muzaffar Height now.

I received the free book with the free T-shirt. Special edition hehehe...

Written using a simple english, the 91 pages book explores why students like to skip classes - something that always make most lecturers and teachers got heart attack! As I experienced last semester, after waiting more than half an hour, less than half of the class turned-up. The cliche reason was - friday morning class, overslept, insomnia, back to hometown or no reason at all. And as the cosequence my barring list was the longest ones in the faculty. And another consequence is my teaching evaluation was very bad. The worst after being a lecturer more than 6 years! that is the reward for being strict and cruel lecturer... for the sake of education.

However, reading this book gives me another perspective. Something that actually I know but can't really accept it when I wear the lecturer's hat.

The author wrote in one of the chapters:

" Now, I started skipping school since I was in high school. The logic is simple. Since the main reason to go to school is to get good results in exam, I stayed at home to study for my exam".
(That's true. Last semester, out of 200++ students in my lecture, less than 30 students appeared and I the class have to be cancelled. Giving my students space to study for their midterm that night. The students thanked me for being generous and understanding - is that what I want? Do they really score the paper?).

I like the part when the author points out this:

" we would like to point out that every individual is gifted in different ways. Do you know anyone in your class who is the academic genius but is a below average athlete or sings like a frog?"

And also this part - Are teachers to be blamed?

"Now, should we start blaming teachers for not using more interesting teaching methods? my answer is no. Teachers are trained in teachers training college to teach, set exam questions and grade students in the way the system wants them to".

" In fact, parents are constantly demanding for better results from their child. They ask teachers to produce straight A's students. ...."

Lets read the book. The unique part of this book is, it is written from two perspectives - from student's perspective and from an educator's perspective. The common thing about both of them is - they skipped classes when they were a student!!

The price is only RM18. You can visit
www.iskipclass.blogspot.com for more info or if you want to order you can inform me from this blog.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

tahniah..

RONIJAMAWOD AL-SABAH said...

wahh!! Tahniah kerana mampu untuk menganalisis. Happy study. :)

Anonymous said...

where can i get this book? mph? popular?

Anonymous said...

where can i get this book? mph? popular?

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!